Korean War Vet, Formerly MIA, Returned to Texas Ahead of Burial 

Major Harvey Storms was killed in combat in 1950, identified in 2019

By Ben Russell
 Published July 14, 2021
 Updated on July 14, 2021 at 11:39 am

More than 70 years after he was killed in combat during the Korean War, a Texas soldier returned to his home state Wednesday, en route to his final resting ground at Arlington National Cemetery.

Major Harvey Storms, of McAllen, was 34 years old on Dec. 1, 1950, when he was shot at least ten times in a firefight at the Chosin Reservoir, where American service members were outnumbered by an estimated 120,000 Chinese soldiers. Storms led an attack on a Chinese position, and despite being mortally wounded he continued directing his soldiers in the battle. Official records show that Storms was last seen being placed into a military truck with other wounded soldiers.

Storms’ remains were unrecovered for 69 years, until after the 2018 summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. The North Koreans turned over 55 boxes to the United States that contained what were believed to be the remains of American service members killed in combat in the Korean War. One of Storms’ four sons was able to provide a DNA sample, which allowed for a match to be made.

An honor guard of North Texas Korean War veterans and supporters arrived at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport before 4 a.m. Wednesday in order to greet the American Airlines flight from Honolulu that was carrying Storms’ remains.

“We’re thankful that he’s come home,” said AJ Key, an Air Force veteran and President of the local chapter of the Korean War Veterans of America. “But we also want to remind people that it was hateful for him to have been missing for this long. We didn’t get the cooperation that was needed to get these guys back.”

The remains of Storms will be removed from a large crate flown from Honolulu to DFW. The remains will then be placed into a flag-draped coffin and flown on to the Washington area, where Storms will finally be laid to rest.

Name: Harvey Harrell Storms
From:  Cameron County, Texas
Born: May 25, 1916
Death: December 1, 1950
War: Korean War
ID: O-365203
Rank: Major
Specialty: Infantry Unit Commander
Branch: US Army
Group: 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, Headquarters and Headquarters Company
MIA Status: Declared Dead while Missing
Cause:  Missing in Action and Presumed Dead
Location:  North Korea, Battle of Chosin Reservoir

★ Silver Star
★ Purple Heart

Harvey Harrell Storms was born on May 25, 1916. According to our records Texas was his home or enlistment state and Cameron County included within the archival record. We have La Feria listed as the city.


He had enlisted in the United States Army. Served during the Korean War. Storms had the rank of Major. His military occupation or specialty was Infantry Unit Commander. Service number assignment was O-365203. Attached to 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, Headquarters and Headquarters Company.


During his service in the Korean War, Army Major Storms was reported missing and ultimately declared dead on December 1, 1950. Recorded circumstances attributed to: Missing in Action and Presumed Dead. Incident location: North Korea, Battle of Chosin Reservoir.


Major Storms was a veteran of World War II and was declared Missing in Action during his service in the Korean War. He was born in McAllen, Hidalgo County, Texas and was later living in Cameron county, Texas. He graduated in 1939 with a degree in agriculture from Texas A&M University in College Station, Brazos county, Texas.

In Korea, he was a member of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. He was listed as Missing in Action while fighting the enemy in North Korea on December 1, 1950. He was presumed dead on December 31, 1953. His remains were not recovered at the time. Storms was last seen after leading an attack up an icy hill, where he was shot 10 to 12 times. He was 34 years old.

His remains were finally identified and accounted for on July 19, 2019. He was laid to rest at San Marcos, Hays County, Texas.

The Battle of Chosin Reservoir, also known as the Chosin Reservoir Campaign was a decisive battle in the Korean War. On 27 November, the Chinese Army surprised UN Forces at the Chosin Reservoir area. A brutal 17-day battle in freezing weather and rough terrain soon followed. In the period between 27 November and 13 December 1950, 30,000 United Nations troops were encircled and attacked by approximately 120,000 Chinese troops.

The cold weather was accompanied by frozen ground, resulting in frostbite casualties, icy roads, and weapon malfunctions. In the end over 17,000 UN forces were killed or wounded or missing in action, or died of wounds. The Chinese suffered 3 times that amount.